Thursday, June 5, 2014

My Rubbish: The Master

Here's a bit of my "rubbish" from my novel "The Master". It's the beginning of the first chapter, and very dramatic as you will so find out! :)


It was the year 1905 …

And I dare say there shall never be an account so cryptic as the one I shall now write here in this little notebook.

            But let me contain myself and fully explain my words as well as the hand which holds the writing pen.

            I am Emily Smith, or so I believe. I am not certain as to my true name since I am not even certain who I am now. I am twenty years of age, yet I remember only three years of my life. The years before the accident (the accident which took my parents and my memory) happened when I was seventeen. Whatever life I lived before then, whoever I was during my childhood … I cannot say.

Dr. Quinley calls my condition … amnesia, or … well, I think that’s what it’s called in the medical field.

I call it my first death.

Anyhow, I am presently staying at the home of my good friend, Erin McSpear.

She have kindly taken me in as a sister and comforted me as much as I ever could be comforted considering what has happened. Erin and I share a house as well as a tutor, for although she is already twenty-one, she has chosen to commit her time to an education as she is of yet unmarried.

Since I am illiterate as well, we have both embarked on an “adventure of words”. Or at least, that’s what she calls it.

At first, I considered learning a distraction from … what happened, but now I consider it an outlet to my feelings. I am now able to “write landscapes and form emotions from letters”, as Mr. Carlyle, our tutor calls it. Such patience he has with us older illiterate young women struggling with a child’s book!

I never imagined I’d ever be writing words as I am now, as full of fault and error as they are. During my three years as a laundress (the only years I remember living), I never needed words. Nor did I want them while I served as a maid at –

I suddenly realized I have not mentioned the manor is ever so long! That horrid dark manor where my soul died a second death! Where I served a master of a heart of evil and a face of … His face!

The writing is shaky now because of the trembling of my hand, but I must continue, albeit tears douse the words, I shall write. I must.

It is time to overcome the past … the insufferable past of dark secrets, forbidden rooms, snuffed lights, passionate cries, misty seas, false romances, and villains in masquerade…

It is time to face Wiltborn.

Wiltborn Manor is a grand castle-like place without, but within is empty ghostliness. One could see this in the library, for the books’ pages were blank, and in the galleries, for the frames to hold paintings held blank canvases, and most empty of all in the manor was the master himself.

Of course it was not always like this. At least not when Old Master Charles Midroth, the father of the aforementioned master, lived. Oh, no, it was the gayest of estates in all of England! He kept it to reflect his own good, kind heart.

But when he passed away, his son sent darkness over the manor, shadowing his tenants, and drowning me.

Everything wilted and darkened and became a void of emptiness.

Not literally, but in spirit.

Rarely did the servants of the manor see their master on the account of his random escapes to travels in distant lands. All felt pity for him because of rumors concerning a past romance with a girl of fair hair and lively green eyes. He forbid anyone to speak of it, but he is still aching for her return. The servants of the manor as well as the tenants on the estate believed this tragic story which explained his tinted soul, and they felt great pity for him.

All but one prejudice girl.

Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment